Sunday, May 6, 2012

last night I'm riding my bike to my friend's apartment
happened to have a bag of unknown contents on me 
that was supposed to make its way to this friend

I'm going through a park in Maryland that I've gone through before
no problem
when out of nowhere I hear someone yell at me
I stop, pull one headphone out
as I am approached by two police officers
they ask if I had my ID on me
I thought I left it at home so I simply said, "no"
they ask my age with a harsh tone
so I asked, "what does it matter?"

they then pull me off of my bike
and throw my face onto a recycling bin
they pull everything out of my pockets
very forcefully, mind you
and begin searching me

at one point they tell me to spread my legs
so I did
and then I get my right leg kicked to the side
VERY FORCEFULLY

I can barely hear the things they are saying
because I have a headphone in still
at this point
I ask the officer if I could remove it to hear him better
and he simply says
"no"


they find my ID in my wallet
and the insults begin

these are things that they said to me
word for word

"oh, you're from Virginia so you think you're better than everyone else, huh?"
"you smoke a lot of weed."
"you smoke a lot of weed on Cinco de Mayo."
"you look like you're going through withdraw"
"do you have a name for your bike? Mine's called Mary Jane."
"Have fun at art school.  That's not real school."
"What's your major?  Stupidity?"
"you smoke weed"

that's only the fucking beginning
however
I have a human rights sticker
clearly visible on my bike
and I have reason to believe that
is possibly the main cause of all of this

I can't believe that this is our police force
THAT IS NOT RIGHT
THAT IS NOT JUSTICE
THAT IS NOT THE WAY
I
AS A CITIZEN
DESERVE TO BE TREATED

Land of the not so free
Home to the power-abusive

No comments:

Post a Comment